Vellnagel's Blacksmiths

Stage Number: MBNH.11.02.08

Group: Northern

Local Study Area: Aspley-Chermside West-Everton Park-Stafford

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 992 Gympie Rd, Chermside

Latitude & Longitude: -27.37922222,153.02902778

Time Link: 1899

Map Link: 1904

Image Time Point: 1904

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


August Christian Vellnagels owned the blackmiths business which became the last site of a blacksmith. The business was registered in 1899, but the land was bought in 1897. Vellnagel had been living in Queensland since about 1891 and from 1897 was a naturalised British Citizen while all the children were native born. In April 1921, under great protest, Vellnagel’s house, Blacksmith’s Shop, Paint Shop and Stables were moved by the Kedron Shire Council from the east side of Gympie Road. When August died in 1932, the business, renamed Vellnagel Brothers, continued under the direction of August’s sons Alf, Charlie and Harold.


Chermside & Districts Historical Society

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 4 chains to the inch. Brisbane and suburbs. Sheet 1. 4 chains to the inch. Brisbane, Survey Office. 634532