Victoria Park (York's Hollow, Barrambbin)

Stage Number: MBNH.09.02.06

Group: Old Town & River

Local Study Area: Petrie Terrace-Spring Hill-Bowen Hills

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: Gregory Terrace, Spring Hill

Latitude & Longitude: -27.45736111,153.01855556

Time Link: 1862

Map Link: 1865

Image Time Point: 1865

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The colonial named area, York’s Hollow, was called Barrambbin by the Turrbal People. A small part of the the most northern area was given over to the Acclimatisation Society of Queensland as Bowen Park. This left most of the area as open parkland that became known as Victoria Park in 1875. The area was evolved with excised parts becoming the Brisbane Exhibition Ground, railway yards, golf course, sports grounds for local private schools, the Centenary Pool (1959), and in recent times the intercity bypass.


Kowald, Margaret. with Val Donovan, Ruth Kerr, Kay Cohen, Lyndsay Smith, and Jean Stewart. Lost Brisbane and Surrounding Areas: The Later Years. Volume 2. RHSQ. 2016 page 232

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 1 chain to the inch. Plan of subdivision of section 30 City of Brisbane. 1 chain to an inch. Surveyor General’s Office, Brisbane.(quarter-size). 634488