Villanova College

Villanova College

Name: Villanova College

Group: Institutional Location

Type: Educational College (Secondary)

Years at Location: 1953-Current

Suggest An Edit
Back

The College’s Motto is Vincit Veritas (Truth Conquers). The College outlook is in the Augustinian tradition.

Impact on Brisbane Society

Villanova College opened in 1948, in the suburb of Whinstanes (now part of Hamilton), organised by six Irish priests from the Order of Saint Augustine. The College was relocated and re-established at the former ‘Langlands’, in Coorparoo, built by the merchant Reuben Nicklin. Langlands had previously been the Good Samaritan Convent of Saint Scholastica until 1953, when the new Villanova College opened. The First Rector of the College was Father Ben O'Donnell (1948–1958).

Citations

Villanova College website [http://www.vnc.qld.edu.au]; Retrieved on 17 June 2019.

Order of St Augustine, International Homepage [http://www.osanet.org/]; Retrieved on 17 June 2019.

Order of St Augustine, Australian Homepage [http://www.augustinians.org.au/] Retrieved on 17 June 2019.

Arneil, Stan. Out Where the Dead Men Lie (The Augustinians in Australia 1838–1992), Augustinian, Press Brookvale Qld, 1992.

Ryan, Kevin; Morahan, Michael. One Mind, One Heart: Villanova - its Story and Traditions. Augustinian Historical Commission, Coorparoo, Qld, 1998.

Image Citations

Villanova College with Goold Hall left of picture. Photographer: Commander Keane [https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=15543177]