Woogaroo Lunatic Asylum

Stage Number: MBSH.05.06.09

Group: Western

Local Study Area: Wacol-Richlands-Inala

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 99. 103. 109. 119 and 149 Wiglow St., 70, 89, 120 and 176 Grindlc Rd., 331 Wilruna St, Wacol

Latitude & Longitude: -27.59511667,152.91163056

Time Link: 1865

Map Link: TBA

Image Time Point: TBA

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Built 1864-65. In January 1865, Dr Cannan, 69 patients and 7 warders entered this new asylum, beside the Brisbane River. Extended in 1867 for private patients but the Asylum’s conditions remained atrocious. Two government investigations (1869) led to the Lunacy Act to provide humane treatment. 1877 Royal Commission saw further buildings to ease overcrowding at the then ‘Goodna Asylum’. Bostock House (1885) and Recreation Hall (1890) improved facilities, betore the 1890’s Floods damaged the asylum. Became the Goodna Hospital for the Insane after 1898 and major building additions from 1910-36. Renamed Goodna Mental Hospital (1838), it expanded its treatment to troops (Wacol Repatriation Pavillion , 1947) and children (Basil Stafford Centre, 1965). Renamed Wolston Park Hospital in 1969.


F.McBride, H.Taylor, C.Black, B.Rough and H.Richards, Brisbane 150 Stories 1859-2009, (Brisbane: Brisbane City Council, 2009); Department of Enviroment and Heritage Protection, Queensland Heritage Register citation No.600340

Image Citations

Map References

Currently Searching