Yeronga State Primary School

Stage Number: MBSH.02.03.09

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Yeronga

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 150 Park Rd, Yeronga

Latitude & Longitude: -27.51980556,153.02058333

Time Link: 1927

Map Link: 1927

Image Time Point: 1927

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Buildings from 1927 on. It opened in 1871 as the Boggo Road Primary School to serve the surrounding farming districts. School Road became a major thoroughfare. The arrival of the railway in 1884 saw the area start to change from rural to urban. It was renamed Yeronga School in 1886 and the site designated a School Reseve in 1895. Arbor Day trees were planted from 1892. The extension of the trams to Yeronga Park in 1915 led to more housing estates. Post-WWI, the school had a major expansion, with 4 new sectional classroom buildings added from 1927-33. A brick Infants School was opened in 1941 but was then closed from 1942-44 for use as an Army offices for a Petrol & Oil Depot. The post-WWII ‘Baby Boom’, caused further extensions to these builings and a Boulton & Paul building opened in 1954. This precinct has been a focal point for this community for nearly 150 years.


Department of Enviroment & Heritage Protection, Qld Heritage Register citation No.650025

Image Citations

Map References

MLMS. 40 chain AG2 series 1887–1932—Moreton district. 40 chains to 1 inch. Moreton 40 Chain map AG2 series sheet 4 south. AG2