Name: Hugh Brandon
Epoch: Late 20th Century
Grouping Field: Peformance, Visual Art, and Music
Location Grouping: Individual's Work Location
Map Coordinates: 27°29'56.9"S 153°00'52.2"E
Years At Location: 1955-1973
One Historical Setting: Mr. Hugh Earle Brandon, Dean, Faculty of Music, University of Queensland, St. Lucia [TBA] (1970)
InformationHugh Brandon was the inaugural Head of the Department of Music (1955-1966), University of Queensland, and he served as Dean of the Faculty of Music in 1970. Brandon revived the Queensland University Musical Society as a women’s choir, adding men from 1947; he was to conduct the choir until 1965, when he became patron. The Brandon family lived in Moorooka.
Impact On Brisbane Society
Hugh Brandon was Brisbane’s leader in Church music. He was conductor of the Brisbane Bach Society (1931-1946), and organist and conductor at city Presbyterian churches: Ann Street (1933-45) and St Andrew’s, Creek Street (1945-1978). He had wider impact on the broader arts and music communities. Brandon was President of the State branches of the Arts Council of Australia (1957-1961) and of the Musica Viva Society of Australia (1964-1966); he was also a member (1959-1971) of the Queensland Conservatorium of Music advisory council.
Gordon D. Spearritt, ‘Brandon, Hugh Earle (1906–1984)’, Australian Dictionary of Biography, National Centre of Biography, Australian National University, http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/brandon-hugh-earle-12248/text21975, published first in hardcopy 2007, accessed online 21 June 2019;
L. Schloss, Hugh Brandon, B.Mus. Hons thesis, University of Queensland, 1983.
Hugh Earle Brandon, inaugural Head of the Department of Music, 1955 to 1966. [https://music.uq.edu.au/student-support/scholarships-prizes/higher-degree-research-student-scholarships/hugh-brandon-scholarship]