Queensland Museum (Second Era)

Queensland Museum (Second Era)

Name: Queensland Museum (Second Era)

Time: 1899 - 1986

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Category: Public Museum

Institution Category: Informing

Institution Group: Public Community Education

Coordinates: -27.451875, 153.029369

Street Address: 480 Gregory Terrace, Bowen Hills QLD 4006

Suburb: Bowen Hills

Sector: State

Local Study Area: Spring Hill-CBD-Fortitude Valley-New Farm (Inner City)

Study Stage: MBNH Stage 9 Local Study Areas

Suggest An Edit
Back
The Queensland Museum was founded by the Queensland Philosophical Society on 20 January 1862. The first temporary home was The Old Windmill (1862–1869). The Bowen Hills site is the second permanent site. The Queensland Government built a home for the museum in William Street in 1879, and remained there for 20 years. In 1899, the Queensland Museum moved into the Exhibition Hall (now called the Old Museum), on Gregory Terrace. Karl Theodor Staiger was the first professional curator from 1872, until his position was taken over by Ronald Hamlyn-Harris (former science teacher at Toowoomba Grammar School). Heber Longman became the curator in 1918 and remained until 1945. Geographic Description 1: Inside The Green Belt Geographic Description 2: Breakfast Creek Geographic Description 3: Flood Plains; Hills (Large)

Citations

"About us" [http://www.network.qm.qld.gov.au/About+Us#.WgeDG1WWaYk]. Queensland Museum Network. Queensland Museum. Retrieved 12 November 2017.

Image Citations

Queensland Museum (Bowen Hills). Photographer: Figaro at English Wikipedia [https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=3592615]