Cornwall Tannery and Home of Phil Stephen, Tannery owner

Stage Number: MBNH.11.03.12

Group: Northern

Local Study Area: Chermside-Wavell Heights-Kedron-Nundah

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: 12 Childers Street, Kedron

Latitude & Longitude: -27.39813889,153.03222222

Time Link: 1892

Map Link: 1904

Image Time Point: 1904

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


In 1892 the Cornwall Tannery opened. It was owned and managed by Stephen Pills & Son was downstream between Boothby St. and Childers St. Stephen Pills had been previously employed by Paul Maggs at his Bristol Tannery. According to an old employee the firm ceased operations in 1973. The house was built for Kedron tannery owner, Stephen Pill. Johnsons & Sons of Chermside in 1966 bought out Maggs and Pills and kept them operating till 1973 when they sold the lot for housing and moved to the northern outskirts of Brisbane, the traditional location of the Tanning Industry.


Brisbane City Council, Heritage Register Summary, ; Paul Maggs Granddaughter; David Teague – History of Kedron C 1975 – Newspapers Trove; Chermside District Historical Society

Image Citations

Map References

MLMS. 8 chain series 1904–1917—Brisbane. 8 chains to the inch. Cadastral map of Brisbane and Suburbs sheet 2. MLMS 8 Chain