Mount Gravatt Cemetery

Stage Number: MBSH.02.07.05

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Salisbury-Nathan

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 640 Mains Rd, Nathan

Latitude & Longitude: -27.554,153.06344444

Time Link: 1918

Map Link: 1918

Image Time Point: 1918

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The cemetery opened in 1918. The pioneering Toohey family donated the land to the state, as it already held the small family graveyard. The surrounding area comprised scattered farms and hilly, thick, bushland (post-1945, Toohey State Forest). Its first entrance was from Mains Road and an access road was graded along the ridgeline. Sections 2A, 3A, 3F, 4A, 4B, 4E and 4F were opened for burials before 1946, on the slope, below the road. In 1962, an ANZAC section opened as a lawn cemetery, atop the ridge and behind the road. An Australia Remembers the War 1939-45 Memorial was added in 1995.The crematorium opened in 1999. Mt Gravatt Cemetery is distinctive both for its red, clay soil but also as Brisbane’s only combined headstone and lawn cemetery.


Brisbane City Council, Mt Gravatt Cemetery and Crematorium,; Monuments Australia,

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2058 Moreton District Maps – A Series. 6 miles to the inch. Moreton District. 6 miles to the inch. Survey Office, Brisbane. 634896