Royal Queensland Golf Club

Stage Number: MBNH.10.02.07

Group: Old Town & River

Local Study Area: Airport-Hendra-Eagle Farm

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 431 Curtin Avenue West, Eagle Farm

Latitude & Longitude: -27.44094444,153.09447222

Time Link: 1920

Map Link: 1925

Image Time Point: 1925

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Queensland Golf Club was founded in 1920, and was opened on 12 August 1921. It was made possible because of the resumed land beside the river from the Hamilton Training Wall project, and extending to the Pinkinba Beacon. The Royal Queensland Golf Club was designated as such in 1921 under King George V. A large set of Tennis Courts was opened at the site on 8 December 1923. It was said that a polo field was anticipated rather than the tennis courts, and if true, it indicates a shift in power within ‘Brisbane Society’ between the modern upper middle class and the older aristocratically-inclined conservative class. It has to be remembered that Queensland societies, as elsewhere in the Commonwealth, still held to British class ethos in the early twentieth century, even as it was coming under pressure to reform, criticisms usually coming from the poorer sections of the community. Social and recreational activities had qualities of economic discrimination.


Kowald, Margaret. with Val Donovan, Ruth Kerr, Kay Cohen, Lyndsay Smith, and Jean Stewart. Lost Brisbane and Surrounding Areas: The Later Years. Volume 2. RHSQ. 2016 page 101

Image Citations

Map References

MLMS. 40 chain AG2 series 1887–1932—Moreton district. 40 chains to 1 inch. Moreton 40 Chain map AG2 series sheet 2 west. AG2