Wacol Army Camp (1946 – 2000)

Stage Number: MBSH.05.06.19

Group: Western

Local Study Area: Wacol-Richlands-Inala

Epoch: Late 20th Century

Street Address: Bakery Road, Wacol

Latitude & Longitude: -27.57902778,152.94161111

Time Link: 1946

Map Link: 1950

Image Time Point: 1950

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Australian Army first used the Camp Columbia site in late 1945, to demobilise Queensland soldiers returning from the war. From 1947 to 1949, about 30% the land (1000 acres) of Wacol was compulsorily acquired by the Australian Army. In 1948, the Citizen’s Military Force at Wacol was reformed and Cadets attached to CMF units, until 1975. In 1950, Wacol Army Camp underwent a huge expansion in preparation for compulsory National Service. In 1951, temporary married quarters (kit homes, now Centenary Village) were built north of Ipswich Road. The 11th Battalion at Wacol was the largest National Service Training camp in the country, with 40,000 “Nashos” trained at Wacol. The last intake was in August 1959. In the 1970s, Wacol Army Camp was renamed Sanananda Barracks. The Regular Army, Training Groups and Cadets used the Wacol Army Camp intermittently. But gradually the buildings and equipment became dated and in 1999 the Wacol Army Camp was officially closed.


Mynott, Vicki (2014) ‘Wacol, Wolston, Woogaroo (1823-2014), Vol 1,’ Inala Heights: Richlands, Inala and Suburbs History Group Inc; Wallis, Noel (2003) ‘Tracing the Historical Significance of the Wacol Army Camp to the City of Brisbane’ self-published.

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2058 Moreton District Maps – A Series. 6 miles to the inch. Moreton District. 6 miles to the inch. Survey Office, Brisbane. 634953