Central Technical College
Name: Central Technical College
Group: Educational College (Tertiary)
Type: Institutional Location
Years at Location: 1913-TBA
The Brisbane Central Technical College was founded in 1908, however, its history dates further back, with the Brisbane School of Arts and the establishment of the Brisbane Technical College in 1882 which emerged out of the School of Art’s classes. The Queensland Government took over technical college education in 1907. Under the Technical Instruction Act 1908, the Brisbane Technical College, the South Brisbane Technical College and the West End Technical College were amalgamated to form the Brisbane Central Technical College in George Street. The physical design of the campus provides a clear indication of the curriculum and college processes:
B Block (1911): Administration and Examination Hall;
E Block (1911): Chemistry and Geology;
F Block (1911): Wool-classing and Building Construction;
G Block (1911): Physics and Electrical Engineering;
H Block (1911: Civil and Mechanical Engineering;
J Block (1911): Workshops;
A Block (1912) : Commercial School;
C Block (1912): Art School;
D Block (1912): Domestic Science.
The former Brisbane Central Technical College was absorbed into the Queensland Institute of Technology in 1965
Impact on Brisbane Society
Further research is underway.
Fitzgerald, Ross; Megarrity, Lyndon; Symons, David. Made in Queensland : a New History, Special Q150 commemorative edition, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, Qld, 2009.
Kyle, Noeline; Manathunga, Catherine; Scott, Joanne. A Class of its Own: a History of Queensland University of Technology, Hale & Iremonger in association with QUT, Sydney, 1999.
Central Technical College in Brisbane, ca. 1931. Archive: John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland. [https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=38872222]