Chelmer School of Arts
Name: Chelmer School of Arts
Group: School of Arts
Type: Institutional Location
Years at Location: 1923-Ceased?
The Chelmer School of Arts was built 1922-23. In 1915, the Chelmer Experimental Reserve (1870), located on flood-prone marshland between the railway and the River, was being subdivided by the Queensland government for housing estates. The Chelmer Progress Association requested a grant of this land for a community hall. The state handed a high spot of land to the Sherwood Shire Council, which appointed two trustees to oversee the project. Local fundraising financed the building and the Chelmer School of Arts was opened by the local state Member A.C. Elphinstone on 16 May 1923. The Hall's left-side held the library. The right-side held a meeting room. In 1925, with all shire councils incorporated into the Greater Brisbane City Council, it became B.C.C. property. Damaged by the 1974 Australia Day Floods, the Hall faced an uncertain future. Des Cochrane of the Chelmer Youth and Recreation Committee got control of the hall from the state and he raised a $10000 loan for repairs. Sir Robert Mathers donated another $10000. The renovated Hall hosts the Centenary Group. It has been used for polling booths, lodges, dances,sport or hobby classes, a baby clinic, an emergency Anglican church and as the centrepoint of the Chelmer Agricultural Show.
Impact on Brisbane Society
Further research is underway.
ADFAS in the Community, Chelmer School of Arts [https://www.adfas.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Chelmer.pdf]
CHELMER MUSICAL LUNCHEON. The Telegraph, Wednesday 1 September 1937, p. 6. NLA Trove