Church of England Grammar School

<< Back To Map

Share

Name: Church of England Grammar School

Group: Educational College (Secondary)

Type: Institutional Location

Years at Location: 1912-Current

<< Back To Map

In 1912, Canon William Perry French Morris and his wife (who held degrees in science and medicine) founded a school, called ‘St Magnus Hall’, at Ardencraig, a suburban house in Church Street (now Jephson Street), Toowong. The school's name was changed to ‘St Magnus Hall Collegiate School For Boys’ and then in 1913, it became The Cathedral School, following the move to a new site at St John's Cathedral. Plans were put into place with a purchase of land in East Brisbane in 1916, but the foundation stone was not laid nor opened on the site until 1918. From 1916 to 1985, the school was officially known as the Church of England Grammar School.

Impact on Brisbane Society

Canon Morris assigned Saint Magnus, a Norsemen earl, as the patron saint of the school and had hoped that the students would be referred to as 'Magnates'. However, ‘Churchie’ became the common nickname in Brisbane circles.

Widely unknown at the time, but subsequently revealed in the 21 century, a series of paedophile crimes were committed between 1947 and 1955 by Frederick Roy Hoskins, a former teacher and boarding house head. Although the crimes were not revealed until half a century later, there was a common belief in Brisbane Society that several Grammar School fostered a ‘bullying culture’ from the elitist attitudes of the institutions.

Citations

"History and Traditions" [https://web.archive.org/web/20070903131341/http://www.churchie.qld.edu.au/content/?id=25). About Churchie. Anglican Church Grammar School. Archived from the original (http://www.churchie.qld.edu.au/content/?id=25] Retrieved 13 December 2007.

Andrew, Anne. With Courage and Compassion: A Celebration of Cannon Hill Anglican College's 25th year, Queensland Cannon Hill Anglican College, Cannon Hill, 2014.

Cole, John R. The Making of Men: a History of Churchie 1912-1986, Boolarong Publications for the Anglican Church Grammar School, Bowen Hills, 1986.

Hempenstall, Peter J. Churchie: A Centenary Portrait : 1912-2012, Anglican Church Grammar School, East Brisbane, Qld, 2011.

Morris, W. P. F. (William Perry French). Sons of Magnus: First Steps of a Queensland School, William Brooks & Co., Brisbane Qld, 1948.

Image Citations

The Churchie grounds and buildings, circa 1924. Photographer: Poul C. Poulsen. Archive: State Library of Queensland

Back To Map