Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St Nicholas

<< Back To Map

Share

Name: Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St Nicholas

Group: Cultural Community of Education

Type: Institutional Location

Years at Location: 1933-Current

<< Back To Map

The Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St Nicholas was erected in 1935-1936. With an influx of White Russian emigres to Brisbane in the early 1920s, the city's first Russian Orthodox parish was was created at South Brisbane in 1925. Father Alexander Shabasheff, who had fled Russia via China, arrived in Brisbane in 1923, and through the assistance of Canon David John Garland. In 1925-26 a cottage at 330 Vulture Street, Woolloongabba (site of the present cathedral) was purchased by the parish and converted into a church. In 1926, Father Shabasheff was appointed officially to the parish, by the Administration of the Russian Orthodox Church Abroad.

Impact on Brisbane Society

By 1911, Russians comprised the fourth largest ethnic group in Brisbane, congregating in South Brisbane-Woolloongabba. Queensland's largest intake of Russian immigrants took place in the years 1911-1914. Cathedral of St Nicholas remained integral to the survival of Russian culture and religion in Brisbane.

Citations

Further research is underway.

Image Citations

Russian Orthodox Cathedral of St Nicholas. Photographer: Shiftchange [https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=39643145]

Back To Map