St Aidan’s Anglican Girls
Name: St Aidan’s Anglican Girls
Group: Educational College (Secondary)
Type: Institutional Location
Years at Location: 1929-Current
St Aidan's Anglican Girls' School was founded in 1929 by the Sisters of the Society of the Sacred Advent. Sister Elisabeth was Sister-in-Charge, Christine Hartland was Headmistress, and Canon W. E. C. Barrett was Chaplain. The initial enrolment, comprising kindergarten, first, third and fourth forms was 17, including one boy. This had risen to 42 by the end of the year. St Aidan's had 65 students by 1930 and 134 by 1934. In 1948, Sister Lois heralded the beginning of a 32-year period of St Aidan's having Sisters-in-Charge.
Impact on Brisbane Society
The School’s Motto is ‘Per Volar Sunata’ (Born To Fly Upwards).
Boys were admitted so that they could have an Anglican education before attending ‘Churchie’.
Hartland was known for her sayings, “Use your initiative gels” and “A pennyworth of common sense is worth more than a pound of brain”.
In Sister Lois' 1951 report, she stated “Girls must be equally educated as, at the very least, they will need trained, well-informed and keen minds to be capable mothers.”
"Our School" [http://www.staidans.qld.edu.au/ourschool/Pages/home.aspx]. St Aidan's Anglican Girls' School. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
Geise, Raymond Frederick. The Sisters of the Society of the Sacred Advent and their Contribution to Educating Girls since 1895, Victory Press Printing Company, Bribie Island, Qld, 2012.
St. Aidan's Anglican Girls' School : Celebrating Over 75 Years [https://www.bookdepository.com/St-Aidans-Anglican-Girls-School/9780646474601]