Banoon Shops

Stage Number: MBSH.02.10.31

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Sunnybank-Banoon

Epoch: Late 20th Century

Street Address: 68 Troughton Road

Latitude & Longitude: -27.5732,153.04783611

Time Link: 1951

Map Link: 1951

Image Time Point: 1951

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Part of the Dutch House development (see “Dutch House”) came a small shopping area. Prior to the construction of the Banoon Shops, the land was owned by Bill Stone from Moorooka. Construction of the first three shops happened in 1951. A Butcher shop was operated by Harry Facer and Ron Rose with apprentice Les Regeling. The Grocery Shop was operated by a Mr Rayner and Percy Crack. The Cake Shop and Bakery was operated by Rudy and John Vandenberg , and Franz Wilbrink. The baking of the cakes was done at a Henley Street shop (Coopers Plains). More shops were added to either end of the original complex, two at the northern end and one at the southern end. At various time the shops changed owners and tenants, and the community was served with a chemist, hairdresser, fruit shop, second-hand store, and fast food outlet. As a sign that Banoon was an up-and-coming area, the Banoon Post Office was opened on 10 April 1956. Mrs B. McCann was the postmistress. Unfortunately the post office remained less than twenty years, and closed on 31 August 1973.


Coopers Plains Local History Group. A Closer Look at Coopers Plains. 2nd Edition, May 2005. pp. 124-126.

Image Citations

Map References

Qimagery. Greater Brisbane Area 1951. Scale: 1:16,000.