Brisbane Kindergarten Training College (Kangaroo Point)
Name: Brisbane Kindergarten Training College (Kangaroo Point)
Group: Educational College
Type: Institutional Location
Years at Location: 1911-1920
Rev. Robert Creyke bought 10.5 acres here in 1851 and began building his home 'Ravenscot'. In 1852, Henry Russell bought the property, added 34 acres and renamed it 'Shafston', after his wife's Jamacian birthplace. Capt. Louis Hope bought it in 1859 and rented it to prominent citizens (e.g. Queensland Parliametary Speaker Gilbert Elliot, solicitor Daniel Foley, Dr. Henry Challinor, grazier William Barker). After 1873, Hope sub-divided his land into many town lots. Reduced to 4 acres, Shafston sold in 1892 to Mary Foster, who had the house redesigned by architect F.D.G. Stanley to reflect a Yorkshire Manor. It was the Kindergarden Training College (1913-19). Bought by the Commonwealth, after WW, for a services rehabilitation home, it was renamed ANZAC House. Transferred to the RAAF (1969-87).
Impact on Brisbane Society
Further research is underway.
QUT Online News Entry. “Brisbane Kindergarten Teachers College celebrates 100 years.” 24th June 2011; Peter Dunn, online entry..
"Wauna" Brisbane Kindergarten Training College Victoria Park Road, Kelvin Grove, Brisbane Commandeered By The Military In Australia During WII. This page last updated 11 January 2019.
Fitzgerald, Ross; Megarrity, Lyndon; Symons, David. Made in Queensland : a New History, Special Q150 commemorative edition, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia, Qld, 2009.
Gahan, Deborah E; Halliwell, Gail, Moss, M; Sherwood, D. Graduates Remember: Living and Learning at the Brisbane Kindergarten Teachers College, 1911-1981, Brisbane Kindergarten Teachers College Graduates & Friends, Brisbane, Qld, 2011.
Shafston House, Kangaroo Point. Archive: State Library of Queensland and John Oxley Library; #65163 [http://www.yourbrisbanepastandpresent.com/2011/08/shafston-house-kangaroo-point.html]