Name: Stuartholme School
Group: Educational College (Secondary)
Type: Institutional Location
Years at Location: 1920-Current
Stuartholme School was established in 1920 by the Society of the Sacred Heart. Reverend Mother Janet Erskine Stuart was Superior General of the Society of the Sacred Heart at the time of the founding, and this led to the school being named after her half-brother, Richard Wingfield Stuart. In 1914 Mother Janet Stuart had visited Brisbane to meet Archbishop Duhig and discussed the idea to buy property to start a school in Brisbane. In 1920 the nuns moved into the new Convent School. In the first year the school was run on the verandas of the cottages. The nuns and pupils lived in the cottages and only six students were enrolled. The number of pupils grew and there were 36 students attending Stuartholme between 1925 and 1940. When Stuartholme had been made into an American hospital, during World War II, many students returned home, and the remaining students were evacuated to Canungra, and later to Southport.
Impact on Brisbane Society
The Sacred Heart education has been a part of the school curriculum.
The School’s Motto is Latin: ‘Cor Unum’ (One Heart).
Our history (Religious of the Sacred Heart of Jesus – RSCJ) [http://www.rscjinternational.org/en/who-we-are/history-publicmenu-31.html]; Retrieved 16 June 2019.
Nolan, Carolyn. Ribbons, Beads and Processions: the Foundation of Stuartholme, Stuartholme Parents and Friends Association, Toowong, Qld, 1995.
Tree and garden beside stairs leading into Stuartholme School, Toowong, Queensland, ca. 1949. Archive: National Library of Australia [https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-142015434/view]