Blackheath Home for Boys

Stage Number: MBSH.05.02.12

Group: Western

Local Study Area: Corinda-Oxley

Epoch: Late 19th Century

Street Address: Cliveden Avenue, Oxley

Latitude & Longitude: -27.54916667,152.97277778

Time Link: 1889

Map Link: 1891

Image Time Point: 1891

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Mr William Robert Black (mine-owner and philantropist) donated his Oxley property “Cliveden” to the Presbyterian Church in c.1923. The Presbyterian Blackheath Home opened in 1924 Originally a boys’ home, around 1955 it began to accommodate both orphan girls and boys. It was closed 9 May 1963. At this time, children were transferred to W. R. Black Home. The Forde Commission of Inquiry into Abuse of Children in Queensland Institutions (1998-99) did find official sanction abuse of the children did occur in the 1950s, and complains were acknowledged by the Home’s superintendent.


Oxley-Chemler History Group Inc; Lee Butterworth and Cate O’Neill. Blackheath Home, Oxley (c. 1924 – 1963). Find and Connect website. History and Information About Australian Orphanages, Children’s Home & Other Institutions

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series 1748 Moreton District, County of Stanley Maps – A1 Series. 1 mile to the inch. Queensland Census Districts. 1 mile to the inch. Government Engraving Office, Brisbane. 620650