Graceville Methodist Church

Stage Number: MBSH.05.01.24

Group: Western

Local Study Area: Chelmer-Graceville-Sherwood

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 205-215 Oxley Rd, Graceville (1-5 Addison Rd)

Latitude & Longitude: -27.5205,152.979

Time Link: 1917

Map Link: 1926

Image Time Point: 1926

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


In 1917, the Graceville Methodist Sunday School hall opened on Laurel Avenue. It was also used as a church until 1930. Despite the Great Depression (1929-39), the congregation raised most of the funds and provded labour for a perpendicular Gothic style church. It was opened by the state Governor Sir John Goodwin on 29 November 1930. The 1917 building became the church hall. A World War II Memorial hall was built in 1951. Walter Taylor was the architect for each building. His wife had donated two trees for the grounds in 1937. The Church was altered in 1955, 1957, 1958, and 1965. The old hall was renovated in the 1970s. In 1977, it became a Uniting church after the amalgamation of Methodists, Presbyterians and Congregationalists.


Department of Enviroment & Heritage Protection, Qld Heritage Register citation No.601584

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series 1748 Moreton District, County of Stanley Maps – A1 Series. 1 chain to the inch. Memorial Park Estate, Graceville, being subdivisions of Port 15, two resubdivisions A of Subdivisions 52­81,153-165, Parish of Oxley, County of Stanley for sale by Realty Development Co Ltd. 1 chains/inch. H James, Lithographers, Queen St, Brisbane. 620605