John Oxley Visit

John Oxley Visit

Stage Number: MBSH.02.02.44

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Fairfield-Annerley

Epoch: Early 19th Century

Street Address: Brisbane Corso, Fairfield

Latitude & Longitude: -27.50116667,153.02297222

Time Link: 1823

Map Link: TBA

Image Time Point: TBA

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The first recorded non-Indigenous people to step foot in the area were John Finnegan, Thomas Pamphlett and Richard Parsons, three castaway ticket-of-leave men who travelled along the south bank of the Brisbane River on foot in mid-1823, getting as far as Canoe (later Oxley) Creek. They returned by boat in December of that year with surveyor John Oxley, who was examining the suitability of Port Curtis, Moreton Bay, and Port Bowen as sites for convict settlements. His party stepped ashore on the riverbank somewhere between Fenton and Princess Streets and described it as the ‘termination of forest land, and the commencement of brush… with cypresses’.


JG Steele, The Explorers of Moreton Bay 1770-1830, St. Lucia, UQP, 1972, pp.90-91,108-112.

Image Citations

Portrait of surveyor John Oxley. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland. Record number. 41931.

Map References

Currently Searching