Sherwood Theatre

Sherwood Theatre

Stage Number: MBSH.05.01.20

Group: Western

Local Study Area: Chelmer-Graceville-Sherwood

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 669 Sherwood Rd, Sherwood

Latitude & Longitude: -27.53233333,152.98158333

Time Link: 1921

Map Link: 1920

Image Time Point: 1920

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Sherwood Theatre opened in September 1921 as an open-air movie theatre. It was also used for church services after the nearby St Matthew’s Church was destroyed by fire that same month. The theatre was originally known as Cooks Pictures and was owned by Boer War veteran and Queensland cricket representative ‘Barney’ Cook. It had various other names over the years, including the Prince of Wales, the Sherwood Theatre, Sherwood Picture Pavilion, and the Netherland Club.


Daily Mail, 1 August 1920; Brisbane Courier, 26 April 1932; Telegraph, 16 March 1944.

Image Citations

Cooks Pictures at Sherwood, Queensland, ca. 1925. John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland, Record number: 447553.

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 20 chains to the inch. Brisbane and suburbs street and road map showing railway lines and tramway routes, with radial lines at one mile intervals from the GPO. 20 chains to the inch.. 634570