The Oasis Tourist Gardens

The Oasis Tourist Gardens

Stage Number: MBSH.02.10.29

Group: Southern

Local Study Area: Sunnybank-Banoon

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: 141 Station Road

Latitude & Longitude: -27.57408056,153.05570278

Time Link: 1938

Map Link: 1946

Image Time Point: 1946

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


The Oasis was developed by Mrs Mabel Pottinger and her two sons, Norman and Lewis. The family settled in Sunnybank in 1923 where they set up a small poultry farm on 2½ acres of land. The Pottinger family acquired more land on which they grew crops and tropical fruits. By 1931 they had become commercial flower growers. After a while they put in a lawn tennis court amid their lawns and well-kept gardens and then, in 1937, they decided to dig, by hand, a swimming pool. They drilled two bores and dug a well to draw water. Oasis baths opened in 1938 (Oasis Tourist Gardens). By World War II a fern house, a tearoom, a dance floor, and two more pools, were added. The big break for The Oasis’ commercial success came in 1942 when the business serviced as a rest and recreation venue for thousands of the American military personnel. After Norman and Lewis were discharged from war service in 1945 they build a third swimming pool and a wading pool. A butterfly and shell collection was added as well. The Oasis Tourist Gardens was among Queensland’s first premier amusement parks. Until its closure in 1989, The Oasis attracted national and international attention for its world-class gardens and reception lounge.


Sunnybank: paddocks to pavements, Sunnybank State High School P& C Association, 1985, pp. 88-90; Oasis Swimming Pool & Gardens’ Jacaranda Tree. Brisbane City Council Heritage Register.

Image Citations

The Oasis Postcard Picture. Brisbane City Archives.

Map References

Qimagery. Brisbane City Council Series 1946. Scale: 1:15,900.