USN Mine and Torpedo Depot (Camp Cootha)

Stage Number: MBNH.07.01.03

Group: Western

Local Study Area: Chapel Hill- Mount Coot-tha

Epoch: Early 20th Century

Street Address: Sir Samuel Griffith Drive, Mount Coot-Tha

Latitude & Longitude: -27.46616667,152.95972222

Time Link: 1943

Map Link: 1943

Image Time Point: 1943

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


On 1 August 1942, the Brisbane City Council lent the Slaughter Falls Park to the US Navy for use as an ordnance depot. The camouflaged USN Mine Depot was constructed by the 55th Seabees Battalion in mid-1943. The Depot also undertook torpedo assembly and storage for the USN submarine base on the Brisbane River. In 1944 USN began to shift the Depot to Darwin. Although the USN retained the lease of the site to war’s end, the RAAF took over the site for a Magnetic and Acoustic Mines Depot.


Toowong District History Group Inc; Queensland WWII Historic Places Website

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2058 Moreton District Maps – A Series. 6 miles to the inch. Moreton District. 6 miles to the inch. Survey Office, Brisbane. 634905