Along with Gordon and Gotch, and Angus & Robertson, Watson & Ferguson was a publisher for Brisbane where scholarly works would be available to the community. The history of the city has been a struggle to import and print high-quality works of broad and deep learning. However, in recent decades Queensland historians have uncovered a much more significant reading history than what traditionally presumed.
Further research is underway.
Watson & Ferguson began as the printing business started by William Gowans in 1868, in Brisbane. The Company was formed by the partnership of John Watson and James Ferguson in 1871. In 1882, the Company built a four-storey building designed by Richard Gailey on the site of the original Supreme Court. The Company's first store was at 69 Queen Street. In 1909, the Company commenced subscription and circulating library services from their Queen Street premises. In 1914, the business built a large printery and bookbinding factory on the corner of Glenelg and Stanley Streets with the assistance of the Municipality of South Brisbane.
"Who we are", Watson Ferguson and Company Website [http://wfco.com.au/content/whoWeAre/] Retrieved on 18 January 2019.
Watson & Ferguson. Copyright Dan Kelly. All rights reserved. [https://www.wfco.com.au/our-history.html]