Wynnum Camp

Stage Number: MBSH.04.02.40

Group: Eastern & Bay

Local Study Area: Wynnum-Wynnum West-Manly-Lota-Manly West

Epoch: Early 19th Century

Street Address: Elenora Park and Greene Park, Glenora Street Wynnum

Latitude & Longitude: -27.43075,153.17091667

Time Link: 1823

Map Link: 1887

Image Time Point: 1887

Suggest An Edit
View Your Faviourties


Main Aboriginal Camp of Wynnum, variously called Black’s Camp or Beach End. This was Camp was central to dugong and turtle hunts of the lower Moreton Bay, and annual excursions to St Helena Island to hunt flying fox and gather shellfish. It became an important fishing village in the 1860s, and usual base for Aboriginal families moving back and forth between the Bayside and Stradbroke Island to access work and schooling. Residents would take European visitors on fishing and boating excursions from here. In 1884, the Aboriginal residents were attacked and assaulted by ruffians, and in 1888 a large fishing expedition was organised from here involving the Aboriginal residents. Over the 1890s there were complaints of drunkeness but also praise for the clean and industrious nature of the Camp. In 1900, King Sandy (Kerwalli) died here. The residents largely moved into housing in Wynnum between 1900 and 1920 – the area being offered to Council for park use in 1908.


Ray Kerkhove, 2015, Aboriginal Campsites of Greater Brisbane (Salisbury: Boolarong), 164.

Image Citations

Map References

QSA. QSA Series ID 2043 City of Brisbane and Suburbs Maps – A1A Series. 40 chains to 1 inch. Brisbane area including the Brisbane River and tributaries, Pine River, and creeks showing entrances to Moreton Bay, adjacent islands, land subdivisions with names of owners and lessees, railways, roads. 40 chains to the inch. Brisbane, Survey Office. 634763